Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Do You To Suffer From "Cognitive Itch"?

For much of the trip, I have been suffering from various earworms. Well, perhaps "suffer" isn't the right term...Subjected to? Cognisant of? That's perhaps closer.

No, it's nothing I need to see a Doctor about...nothing that I was infected with on vacation.

An earworm is not to be confused with an earwig, neither of which actually ever go in your ear.

An earworm is a song, or a snippet of a song or music, that gets stuck in your head that you "hear" over and over ad naseum.

We did not have the car radio on at all the entire trip. Literally never touched the power button. It was not typical for us. Both Darryl and I enjoy all kinds of music and usually have something on in the car when we're driving, but we spent most of the trip talking, which was very, very nice. In between conversation though, in the silence while we soaked in the atmosphere of the west, I found myself with the most unusual songs playing in my mind.

Obviously, the sights and sounds of the area were inspiring my mental juke box. The selections included old favourites like "Home on the Range", "She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain" to the downright silly "Name Game Song" - and yes, it was the verse using "Chuck". Google it, it's a hoot. That one was on Sunday which was a slow day with not much happening and a lot of driving...




No comments:

Post a Comment