Friday, April 10, 2009

Last weekends usual suspects

Editorial to come :)

I'm off shooting again this morning!

- Paula

I'm back - while I wait for today's photos to download, I've got some time to kill, so here's the scoop on last weekends birding at Halls Road.

I don't know why more people don't like these birds - I think they are amazing. This is a common grackle (bronze phase, as it turns out). I think, in the sunlight, they are one of the most striking-looking birds with their piercing, intense yellow eyes and iridescent chameleon feathers.







You'll notice that the blue jay below is on the same limb as the grackle above. Neat trick if you want to get good bird shots in a "natural looking" environment. Put braches in/on the bird feeder and shoot the birds when they land on the branch instead of the feeder! This branch was laying on top of a tray of seeds and peanutes which was very attractive to many species of birds.


Much later in the day, we were making our way out to where we've seen kestrals several times and spotted this fellow on a fence post on the side of a service road. We are still trying to get an id on him. If anyone knows, please leave a comment or send me an email!

No comments:

Post a Comment